Water Filtration Systems on Whidbey Island, WA
Though we recommend ECOsmarte® Oxygen Systems to homeowners in Freeland, WA and across Whidbey Island, we understand that budget or preference may sway you in another direction. For water with high iron content and heavy mineralization, there are several effective systems for hard water removal. Whidbey Water Filters can introduce you to each, explaining the benefits and drawbacks of each, so you can make a smart decision about your potable water.
Mineral Water Testing
As with any consultation for water filtration, we recommend mineral water testing first and foremost. Knowing what heavy metals, minerals, chemicals and pharmaceuticals that are in your hard water enables customizing a filtration system for your unique situation.
Choose the Right System
There are five distinct types of water filtration and treatment systems Freeland, WA homeowners can choose from if they have hard water or heavy mineralization.
- Green sand and straight filtration methods are semi-effective, but do not remove everything—and they will not kill any bacteria.
- Chlorine and other forms of chemical injection work, but involve the use, handling and purchase of toxic chemicals.
- Aeration can be effective, but the percentage of oxygen in air is small. Aeration, with the addition of ozone, is a bit more effective.
- Ozone is powerful and highly effective. A pure ozone system will remove bacteria, chemicals, minerals and sulfur smells.
- Oxygen systems Oxygen systems are by far the most effective. The ECOSmarte® Oxygen System removes everything at the lowest long-term cost and with the least amount of maintenance.
Homeowners have different needs when it comes to potable water filtration. If you’re dealing with an excess of iron or minerals—like many homeowners in Freeland, WA and across Whidbey Island—consult with Whidbey Water Filters. We can point you in the direction of mineral water testing and, after learning the results, can recommend the best system for hard water removal.
Reach us today at 360-730-7992.
Ozone is an excellent technology for treating water on Whidbey.
What is Ozone?
We can smell ozone in the air during lightning storms, when we make static electricity, and any time there is a large electrical spark. There are books on ozone therapy, and some practices actually prescribe removing blood, ozonating it, and reinjecting it into the body. Ozone air purification is excellent for killing any air-born bacteria, mold, smoke, and other pollutants. For water purification, ozone oxidizes dissolved minerals; when minerals are oxidized they clump together into larger particles that can be filtered out.
Characteristics of Ozone
Ozone starts out as O9, which has a half-life that rapidly breaks down to O8, O7, O6, down to O3. As O3 it is highly caustic and corrosive, especially when combined with water. Consequently, ozone in copper pipes and galvanized metal pipes will actually eat away the pipes and the fittings. Stainless steel parts, special ozone-resistant fittings, and plastic pipes are the best ways to plumb for ozone. High levels of ozone in the air can cause immune-deficiency disorders. Ozone above certain levels will kill lung cells. While ozone air purifiers are excellent for killing smoke and other strong odors, continuous breathing of ozone is not safe.
Ozone is so strong that it will kill bacteria and other living cells in a split second. Ozone is up to 2500 times more powerful a disinfectant than chlorine, able to destroy cysts, bacteria and fungus instantly (compared to 30-60 minutes with chlorine) and destroys bio-films better than chlorine. Though ozone does not remove manganese or iron from water, it does oxidize these metals to facilitate their removal by flocculating them into larger particles that can be filtered out through the media.
Chlorine, on the other hand, can take up to an hour to penetrate the cell wall of a bacteria.On the other hand, chlorine is residual and remains in the water whether it is active or inert, which means that it is ingested, it contacts and dries out the skin, and in continued doses it is a known carcinogen. Conversely, ozone is not residual. As soon as it contacts the air it is gone. The O3 breaks down to O1 and H2O — oxygen and water, both of which are harmless and helpful.
Ozone can be created in one of two ways: with ultra violet radiation, or with an electrical charge.
- Ultra-violet ozone generators have two drawbacks: (1) the ozone created is weaker than that made by an electrical charge, and (2) the UV bulb can burn out and will not produce any ozone again until it is replaced. The advantage of UV generation is that it costs less.
- Corona generation of ozone is by far the most powerful and consistent form. Two electrodes create a high-voltage electrical arc, which creates a large amount of ozone. This ozone gas is then either pushed into the water with a special ozone-resistant pump, or sucked into the water with a plastic venturi.
Ozone Water Purification
Ozone is one of the best ways to eliminate iron from water. Because iron is dissolved in the water, it can pass through any number of filters without being removed. In order to get the iron out, it must be made into larger particles or clumps: it must be flocculated. Essentially by oxidizing the dissolved mineral, it in a sense “rusts,” turning into larger particles that can be filtered out. The ozone gas is then flushed through a drain to the outdoors, so no odors enter the building.
- Highly effective at removing iron, manganese, sulfur, bacteria, particulates
- Infrequent maintenance (every 6 months-1 year)
- Pump makes a noise
- Periodic maintenance and replacement costs
- Will not soften water; additional systems may need to be added
Chlorine System with Water Softener
This ultimate chlorine system consists of a chlorine tank and injector, a retention tank, three filter media tanks, and a brine tank. Chlorine is injected into the water, it goes into the retention tank to provide ample contact with the water, then the chlorine, minerals, and contaminants are removed in the next two filter tanks, after which the water passes through a water softener. This system will remove iron bacteria, tannin, iron, manganese, sulfur, hardness and much more.
- Comprehensive iron treatment for difficult problems
- Chlorine injection kills bacteria and viruses and improves iron filtration
- Mixing tank ensure proper chlorine treatment
- Iron filter removes iron, hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg odor), and manganese
- Carbon filter removes excess chlorine and other tastes, odors, and chemicals
- High quality water softener removes hardness to prevent scale buildup
- 9 GPM maximum treatment flow rate covers most home use
- Durable 2510SXT digital controller
- Requires a minimum of 6.5 GPM for backwashing
This packaged chlorine injection system, mixing tank, iron filter, carbon filter, and water softener will address even the worst of iron problems, plus hardness. Chlorine injection kills iron bacteria as well as other common bacteria and viruses, with the mixing tank ensuring proper treatment. The Filox iron filter traps and removes iron, hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg odor), and manganese. The GreenFlo carbon filter removes any excess chlorine and reduces a wide range of other tastes, odors, and chemicals that may be in the water. The 48k softener finishes things off with a high capacity resin to soften the water.
- Full treatment
- Low price
- Low gpm
- Uses chlorine (bad to touch and breathe, but it is filtered out) and salt (which gradually sterilizes the ground and is not healthy for some people to consume. If drinking salt is an issue, install an RO system at the sink.)
- On-going expense of money and time to purchase and handle chlorine and salt
- Water tastes slightly salty & feels mildly slimy.
- Multiple tanks require space
There ae several types of aeration systems. the most basic consist of compressed air injection. Another option is the IronBreaker III.
The IronBreaker III is good for cabins, single residents, or situations with minimal water usage. Aeration systems can remove iron and sulfur smell, but cannot kill iron bacteria. If your water has the sulfur odor of “rotten eggs”, if there are iron stains on your sinks and bathtubs, if you use large amounts of soap to clean dishes, wash your hair or suffer the “orange hair” effect sometimes caused by iron water, you probably have water that can be successfully treated with an IronBreaker III iron and Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) removal system.
Left untreated, these minerals will cause yellow/brown stains on fixtures and clothing, clogged pipes and appliances, shortened service lives for dishwashers, washing machines and water heaters, all adding to the cost of maintaining appliances while increasing the amount of energy consumed in your home. Whether it’s rust stains in your sinks and laundry, or the “rotten egg” smell of H?S when you turn on a tap, your water problems can cause you and your family more than embarrassment and frustration. Iron and H?S can damage your fixtures and plumbing, discolor your laundry or create unpleasant odors in drinking water and showers.
Until recently, the most common solution for problem iron and H?S water involved the use of harsh chemicals and complicated equipment, requiring regular care and service by the homeowner or water treatment professional. The IronBreaker III now offers the “natural” solution for removing iron and H?S. A proven patented technology that uses natures own oxidation process to eliminate iron and H?S without chemicals, without air compressors, without aerators and without external ventures’. Using natures own oxidation process, leaving you with fresh, clean, odor free water throughout your home.
All of your water using appliances will lead longer lives. Dishwashers, automatic washers and, of course, your water heater will benefit from having reduced iron and H?S, adding years to the life of major appliances and postponing expensive repair and replacement. Hot water heaters, washing machines and dishwashers using iron laden, hard water can wear out 30% faster, while consuming more energy than an appliance using iron free, H?S free, soft water. In the bathroom there will be no more iron stains or rotten egg odor. Soap and shampoo will lather better. Hair and skin will feel noticeably cleaner. And when used with a water softener, your iron free, odor free water will be soap scum free, without mineral deposits to clean off sinks, showers, tubs and toilets. In the laundry, without iron or H?S in the water, clothes will be whiter and brighter. Plus, they will last longer. Add a water softener and increase the life of clothing, towels and linens by up to 33% and add even longer service life to your appliances. In the kitchen, there will be no iron stains on the sink, no objectionable odor while running water for cooking, cleaning or drinking. Dishes will clean more easily and, by adding a water softening unit, your dishes will be spot free without the film glasses get when etched by mineral-laden water.
How the IronBreaker III Works
The IronBreaker III stores a “bubble” of air, compressed by your well pressure, within the media tank. As your water passes thru the air, the iron or H?S is converted to a particle which is then trapped by the catalytic filter media in the tank while the air “bubble” is gradually consumed by the passing water.
For regeneration, the unit first “backwashes” itself, removing any iron particles it has trapped. The system then replenishes the “air bubble” by drawing in atmosphere, temporarily emptying the tank of all water and transferring oxygen molecules into and on the surface of the media bed where all oxidation occurs. The system then returns to the “service” position, again filtering your water. Add the ozone generator option and the IronBreaker III system is automatically sanitized during the regeneration process.
Benefits of the IronBreaker III System
The IronBreaker III controls the iron and H?S is your homes water and:
- Stops iron stains from occurring
- Provides clean, odor free water
- Protects your water softener equipment from “iron fouling”
- Protects plumbing fixtures, appliances and clothing
- Protects pipes from iron clogging and black oxidation caused by H?S
- Eliminates the need for chemical feed treatment systems
Often multiple systems must be combined in order to remove all contaminants.The ECOsmarte system is the only one that includes additional systems at no extra charge.
There is usually more than one contaminant to be eliminated from the water. No one system will take care of everything. For example, a compressed carbon block filter will remove chemicals and bacteria, but it won’t remove minerals. An ozone system will remove iron, manganese, sulfur, bacteria and particulate matter, but it won’t remove hardness or tannin. Tannin is acidic, so when a tannin resin is used it may change the pH of the water so much that a pH stabilizer is required. Some water is so high in virus or bacteria or coliform that sometimes an ultra violet sterilizer is required. However, UV will not filter anything out, so pre-filters and post-filters are required. Sometimes the water is so full of sand, silt or large particles that a roughing filter or coarse pre-filter is necessary so as to prolong the life of the main filtration system.
FILTERS FOR SPECIFIC CONTAMINANTS
- Oxygen Iron, manganese, sulfur, dissolved minerals, bacteria, particulates, chlorine, hardness, arsenic, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, color, odor, staining
- Ozone Iron, manganese, sulfur, dissolved minerals, bacteria, particulates, chlorine
- Chlorine Heavy iron bacteria, tannin, iron, manganese
- Reverse Osmosis Chemicals, minerals, bacteria, arsenic 3, pharmaceuticals
- Granular Activated Carbon annin, light minerals, chemicals, residual iron
- Compressed Carbon Block Chemicals, bacteria, particulates
- Ultra Violet Sterilizes bacteria & virus
- Water softener Calcium, magnesium, hardness
- pH Stabilizer Neutralizes pH (must be periodically replenished)
- Arsenic system Arsenic
- Tannin resin Tannin
In other words, it is necessary to know what is in the water by sending a sample of water to a professional water testing laboratory. Once we know what is in your water, we then know which technologies will remove each item. There is a certain order for systems. Assuming the worst, a number of systems might need to be combined in order to get your water crystal-clear.
Below is a possible sequence for a lot of in-line systems:
- Pre-filter/roughing filter/coarse filter/sand filter/15-50 micron filter cartridge
- Chlorine injector
- pH stabilizer
- Ozone injection
- Off-gas tank to remove all gases (sulfur, ozone, methane, ammonia, etc.)
- Filter media tanks (remove particulates, iron, manganese, etc.)
- Arsenic tank
- Water softener with tannin resin (removes hardness, tannin, color)
- Ultra-Violet sterilizer
- Point-of-Use Filter at the sink (compressed carbon block or reverse osmosis)
In addition to this hypothetical list of systems, some other systems might be necessary instead. If arsenic is an issue, there is a completely different system that will remove arsenic, iron, and everything else. If minerals are not an issue, the water is clear, but it is high in bacteria, sometimes nothing more than ultra-violet treatment is needed. This is particularly the case for treating rainwater, and might be the case for people using shallow hand-dug wells. The problem with rainwater is that it is highly acidic. Pond water, on the other hand, is extremely alkaline. Consequently the pH might need to be altered. If there is dirt in the water, at least a coarse filter might be required. Then we get back into the issue of multiple systems.
There are several ways to oxidize iron:
- With chemicals, such as chlorine injection, which is very inexpensive, but is toxic and requires continuous purchasing and handling of toxic chemicals.
- With air, which contains a small percentage of oxygen. This system is inexpensive but not as effective as ozone or oxygen. The air is either injected into the water with an air compressor, or sucked in with a venturi.
- With ozone — a form of oxygen — which is low-maintenance, effective, and consistent. The ozone is either pumped into the water with an ozone-resistant pump, or sucked in with a venturi on a recirculating pump. Ozone is produced either with ultraviolet light or with powerful corona generation.
- With oxygen, which is highly effective even though it is initially more expensive and requires ten minutes a month for maintenance. Oxygen is created with two electrically charged titanium plates.
Both iron and manganese are easily removed 100% with an ozone or an oxygen system. Aeration systems, chemical systems, green sand and other media filters are not nearly as effective.
The ECOsmarte oxygen system is the only system that will include all extra technologies or additions required to purify your water completely at no extra expense.
The Ecosmarte oxygen system will not only treat house water, but is also very effective with:
- multiple structures
- rain water
- pond, stream and lake water
- swimming pools
- spas and hot tubs
The ECOsmarte system in this photo includes a tank to remove arsenic. The farthest tank is a retention tank to allow maximum contact of oxygen in the water. The second tank removes iron, manganese and dissolved minerals. The third tank removes color, flavor, odor, and chemicals. The closest tank removes arsenic.
The only maintenance, which takes about ten minutes, is to remove and clean the two electrode chambers once every one to three months.
Multipure water filters are effective, practical, and economical.
If you don’t want to filter all the water in the whole house, point-of-use filters are practical. These filter water right at the sink — either on the counter top or underneath the counter — on the shower head, or for the ice maker. While granular carbon filters are popular, they do not remove anything more than color, flavor and odor, and generally filter down to 15 or 10 microns at best. On the other hand, compressed carbon block filters remove particles as small as half a micron.
For even finer filtration, reverse osmosis systems actually squeeze water molecules through a membrane. A unique feature of the Multipure Reverse Osmosis System is that after the water has been completely treated with pre-filters, an RO membrane and post-filters, before the water comes out the spigot into your glass it is filtered even further with a half-micron compressed carbon block filter; no other RO system does this. This is truly pure water.
Multipure’s compressed carbon blocks are the leader in the industry since Multipure invented this technology. Consequently you get the most filtration for the least amount of money. With Multipure you get guaranteed products and accessories, excellent customer service support, and high quality-controlled products.
For much more detailed information, go to my web site that is dedicated specifically to the Multipure products. You can order directly on this site:
Dean Petrich, Multipure Independent Distributor, ID #116745
Compressed Carbon Block Units
Sport Water Bottles with filters
Reverse Osmosis Units
Other Green Products
Often water is not the only concern when living on Whidbey. While water is one of our most basic living needs, we still have other needs.
Following is a list of other green products available through Aqua Alternatives:
- Water Treatment, Filtration and Purification (refer to the pages on whole-house systems and point-of-use systems) Pure water is an essential part of daily life.
- Waterless Toilets (composting toilets, incinerating toilets, dehydrating toilets)
- Drain Strainers (simple, inexpensive hair traps for tubs and showers)
- Green Household Products (all your daily cleaners and consumable necessity items at lower-than-store prices: safe, fresh, effective, convenient, concentrated, high-quality, environmentally sensitive, delivered, guaranteed). The cleaners and laundry products work well in cold water and with hard water. It is always safest to clean with pure water.
- Health Products (supplements that are scientifically proven to be more absorbable and more bioavailable than any other brand, organic healthy snack food, sports nutrition boosters, inexpensive weight management program that works, condition-specific products for pre-diabetics, cardiovascular issues and high blood pressure, skin problems, eye health, joint problems, dental hygene, prostate and menopause concerns, mood swings, memory loss, immune boosters, general health, and more) Almost all health products require pure water.